Want to know the secret to a quick and profitable home sale? An attractive property. First impressions make a significant impact on a home buyer's decision-making process!
Once your home goes on the market, it becomes a product. Home styling or "staging" simply allows you to highlight the best features of your home and de-emphasize its flaws. It's not about decorating your home but about turning your home into a model, to appeal to the broadest range of prospective Sarasota home buyers. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
First Impressions Make or Break a Home Sale
A spruced-up house makes a great first impression on potential buyers. Because buyers know they’ll encounter fewer problems in a home that's well maintained, your house becomes more appealing and stands out from the competition. So if you prepare your home correctly, you’ll save time selling it when it’s on the market.
A good first impression makes an impact on a number of levels. It’s not just the way your house looks to potential buyers, but how it feels and smells to them, how their friends and family will react, how they imagine it would be to live there. With simple improvements throughout your house, you can grab the attention of potential buyers and help them see why your house is right for them.
- Trim trees, prune shrubs, and mow the lawn.
- Edge the grass around walks and trees.
- Purchase a new mailbox.
- Power-wash your driveway, sidewalk, and exterior.
- Clean your gutters of leaves and other debris.
- Polish your house numbers.
- Hang a seasonal wreath on your front door.
- Put a bright pot of flowers on your front porch.
- Focus most on the most visible areas—the foyer, kitchen, living room, master bedroom, and family room.
- Hire a professional service to clean the home, including the carpets and the windows.
- Make functional repairs—fix dripping faucets, sticking doors, and broken fences.
- Give away or pack up unnecessary furniture, linens, and small kitchen appliances to store off-site.
- Make a small room feel spacious by hanging a mirror in a pretty frame.
- Use as much natural light as possible. Add extra lamps in dark rooms or corners.
- Removing photos, mementos, large collections of items, and dated decor.
- Remove valuables, prescription medicine, collectibles, and breakables.
- Stick with neutral colors—beiges, grays, whites, and muted hues.
Open Your Home for Showings!
Now that your home is clean, decluttered, depersonalized, and staged, it's time to make it available for showings. The key word here is "available." One of the biggest mistakes Sarasota homeowners can make when selling their homes is either giving buyers few chances to tour their home or hanging around while buyers are viewing the home.
Think of it like this: If you've ever been in a store where the employees clearly work on commission and almost seem to lurk in the background, watching your every move, while you shop, it doesn't really put you in the buying mood. Likewise, hanging around while buyers tour your property can make them uncomfortable.
This is why you have hired a real estate agent to represent you and your home: Who better than a qualified professional to be the spokesperson for your home?
Staged Homes Sell for More Money
To a certain extent, buyers make purchase decisions based on their emotional response, so it’s important to make it easy for them to fall in love with your home. That's why home staging, curb appeal, and even pleasant aromas are so essential when preparing your home for the market. When you take the time enhance your home's appeal, you're helping to boost its value.
Start Off on the Right Foot
As you're getting ready to sell your home, or if you've already taken the time to make it look warm and inviting for potential home buyers, don't forget the most important part of selling your home: determining a competitive but fair asking price. The right price is the first step to creating the best first impression.
Eager to Sell? Learn What Your Home is Worth
The next step in the home selling process is to learn the market value of your home. The right price is key to selling quickly and for the most money possible. We'll help you determine the best asking price. Ask for your complimentary home evaluation to get started.